HRC Welcoming Schools Facilitators are located across the country. They offer practical and interactive professional development to create gender- and LGBTQ-inclusive schools using the following Welcoming Schools training modules.
Contact Welcoming Schools to bring a training to your school or district.
Overview of the Welcoming Schools Approach – 1 hour
- Learn how Welcoming Schools helps to create respectful and LGBTQ-inclusive elementary schools.
- Discover how and why Welcoming Schools increases student success.
- Understand Welcoming Schools focus and key messages.
- Become familiar with the diversity of high quality book recommendations and lesson plans Welcoming Schools offers.
Creating LGBTQ-Inclusive Schools – 1.5 hours
- Look at simple ways to develop LGBTQ-inclusive classrooms and to be LGBTQ-inclusive across the curriculum.
- Be able to better answer questions from students and families related to LGBTQ topics.
- Become familiar with sexual orientation and gender identity terminology.
Embracing Family Diversity – 1.5 hours
- Learn the importance of seeing family diversity represented in your school.
- Understand family diversity as a means of teaching self-respect and respect for others.
- Be able to answer questions from students and families about the importance of embracing all families.
Preventing Bias-Based Bullying – 2 to 2.5 hours
- Be able to foster ally behavior among students, staff and other adults.
- Understand bystander behavior and be able to utilize the Bully Circle.
- Learn and practice critical intervention steps.
Creating Gender-Inclusive Schools – 2.5 hours
- Develop a framework for creating a gender inclusive school.
- Be able to respond to challenging questions related to gender.
- Understand how to support gender expansive and transgender students.
- Develop skills to reduce gender role stereotyping and stop gender put-downs.
Welcoming Schools Law and Policy Review – 1.5 hours
- Become knowledgeable of federal, state and school district level laws and policies.
- Become familiar with language to strengthen current policy and to advocate for enumerated protection for all students.
Supporting Transgender and Non-Binary Students (1.5 hours & 2.5 hours)
The 1.5 hour training is designed for schools that have had the Gender Inclusive Schools Module.
The 2.5 hour version is designed for schools that have not had the Gender Inclusive Module.
- Understand the critical need to create safe and supportive schools for transgender and non-binary students.
- Understand the complexities of transitioning and know how to support students on this journey.
- Be familiar with policies and best practices to support transgender and non-binary students.