HRC Welcoming Schools Facilitators are located across the country. They offer practical and interactive professional development to create gender- and LGBTQ-inclusive schools using the following Welcoming Schools training modules.
Contact Welcoming Schools to bring a training to your school or district.
Overview of the Welcoming Schools Approach
- Learn how Welcoming Schools helps to create respectful and LGBTQ-inclusive elementary schools.
- Discover how and why Welcoming Schools increases student success.
- Become familiar with the diversity of high quality book recommendations and lesson plans Welcoming Schools offers.
Creating LGBTQ-Inclusive Schools
- Look at simple ways to develop LGBTQ-inclusive classrooms and to be LGBTQ-inclusive across the curriculum.
- Be able to better answer questions from students and families related to LGBTQ topics.
- Become familiar with sexual orientation and gender identity terminology.
Embracing Family Diversity
- Learn the importance of seeing family diversity represented in your school.
- Understand family diversity as a means of teaching self-respect and respect for others.
- Be able to answer questions from students and families about the importance of embracing all families.
Preventing Bias-Based Bullying
- Be able to foster ally behavior among students, staff and other adults.
- Understand bystander behavior and be able to utilize the Bully Circle.
- Learn and practice critical intervention steps.
Creating Gender-Inclusive Schools
- Develop a framework for creating a gender inclusive school.
- Be able to respond to challenging questions related to gender.
- Understand how to support gender expansive and transgender students.
Welcoming Schools Law and Policy Review
- Become knowledgeable of federal, state and school district level laws and policies.
- Become familiar with language to strengthen current policy and to advocate for enumerated protection for all students.
Supporting Transgender and Non-Binary Students
- Understand the critical need to create safe and supportive schools for transgender and non-binary students.
- Understand the complexities of transitioning and know how to support students on this journey.
- Be familiar with policies and best practices to support transgender and non-binary students.