HRC Welcoming Schools Facilitators are located across the country. They offer practical and interactive professional development to create gender- and LGBTQ-inclusive schools using the following Welcoming Schools training modules.
Contact Welcoming Schools to bring a training to your school or district.
Overview of the Welcoming Schools Approach – 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Learn how Welcoming Schools helps to create respectful and LGBTQ-inclusive elementary schools.
- Discover how and why Welcoming Schools increases student success.
- Understand Welcoming Schools focus and key messages.
- The first training should include the Overview Module alone or with another module.
Creating LGBTQ-Inclusive Schools – 1.5 to 2.5 hours
- Understand the importance of developing an LGBTQ-inclusive school environment for all students.
- Be able to better answer questions from students and families related to LGBTQ topics.
- Look at simple ways to develop LGBTQ-inclusive classrooms and to be LGBTQ-inclusive across the curriculum.
- Become familiar with sexual orientation and gender identity terminology.
- Explore diverse books for classroom discussion.
Embracing Family Diversity – 1.5 to 2.5 hours
- Learn the importance of seeing family diversity represented in your school.
- Understand family diversity as a means of teaching self-respect and respect for others.
- Be able to answer questions from students and families about the importance of embracing all families.
- Explore diverse books and lesson plans featuring all kinds of families.
Creating Gender-Expansive Schools – 2.5 to 3.5 hours
- Develop a framework for creating a gender inclusive school.
- Be able to respond to challenging/difficult questions related to gender.
- Understand the varied nature of gender and be familiar with gender terminology.
- Understand how to support gender expansive and transgender students.
- Develop skills to reduce gender role stereotyping and stop gender put-downs.
- Explore lesson plans and diverse books looking at gender stereotypes and identity for classroom discussion.
Preventing Bias-Based Bullying – 2.5 to 3.5 hours
- Develop an understanding of the extent of bias-based bullying.
- Be able to foster ally behavior among students, staff and other adults.
- Understand bystander behavior and be able to utilize the Bully Circle.
- Learn and practice critical intervention steps.
- Explore lesson plans and diverse books to engage students in discussion and learning to prevent bias-based bullying.
Welcoming Schools Law and Policy Review – 1.5 to 2 hours
- Become knowledgeable of federal, state and school district level laws and policies.
- Become familiar with language to strengthen current policy and to advocate for enumerated protection for all students.