Welcoming Schools 2014 Oregon Training Registration
Monday, August 4th, 8:30am – 4:30pm at the Helen Gordon Child Development Center located at 1609 SW 12th Avenue, Portland, OR 97201 (Google Maps)
Welcoming Schools is a comprehensive approach to embracing family diversity, avoiding gender role stereotyping and ending bullying. This one-day training is designed to meet the needs of pre-school and elementary-level educators, school staff, and child serving agencies.
It is strongly suggested that schools bring teams to this session, if at all possible.
Welcoming Schools was developed specifically for the primary level and includes administration, teacher and community support in:
- Respecting family diversity and encouraging family involvement across the community—including diverse family structures such as adoptive families, foster families, children being raised by their grandparents, and LBGT-headed families.
- Avoiding gender stereotyping—examining gender roles and expectations, gender expression and non- conformity, and interrupting and preventing bias.
- Ending name calling and bullying through clear policies and procedures that prohibit harassment, intimidation and bullying; and by providing curricula that are inclusive and applicable for teachable moments with children.
Training participants will be provided with:
- An understanding of Oregon’s state requirements for anti-harassment, intimidation and bullying policies and procedures.
- An increased understanding of the relationship between academic achievement and a safe learning environment.
- Best practices for addressing bullying and building a positive school climate.
- An overview of teacher training resources to bring back to your building.
- An overview of classroom resources including vetted children’s literature and curriculum related to family diversity and inclusion.
- Opportunities to build skills in talking about gender identity and sexual orientation in age-appropriate ways.
Sponsored by: the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the Oregon Safe Schools and Communities Coalition and Portland State University
Continuing Education Credits will be provided. It is strongly suggested that schools bring teams to these sessions, if at all possible. Training room and parking information will be provided after registration.
Questions? Please e-mail Tracy Flynn