About The Film
What Do You Know? is an award winning 13-minute film produced by HRC Welcoming Schools for elementary school educators and parents/caregivers. The film features students from Alabama and Massachusetts discussing what they know about LGBTQ people, what they hear at school and how teachers can help. The students offer thoughtful, poignant commentary on their experiences in school with LGBTQ topics and show that students already know about and want teachers to discuss LGBTQ people and topics in the classroom with them.
The students in the film were not coached on what to say, but instead speak from their own experiences. The students are a diverse group:
- Six come from families where there has been a divorce
- Three have LGBTQ parents
- Three are being raised by single moms
- Two are adopted
- Six have parents who were born outside of the U.S., and
- At least five have parents from two different religions, races or countries.
Who Can Use This Film?
This film can help all audiences understand that students want educators to stop LGBTQ and gender putdowns at school to welcome all students and their families. The film also reveals that children are already having conversations regarding LGBTQ topics and students want educators to help guide those conversations. HRC Welcoming Schools believes that everyone will benefit from watching this telling film.
- Elementary school educators, counselors and administrators can use the film as a starting point for professional development to find ways to stop anti-LGBTQ behavior and practice answering questions on LGBTQ topics.
- Families and caregivers can watch the film at a family engagement event to discuss how educators and families can work together to stop harassment, bullying and LGBTQ putdowns.
- College and university instructors can use the film to help students to become more confident in talking about LGBTQ topics in elementary schools, especially in elementary education, school counseling, school psychology and social work courses.
Each DVD includes:
- “Teachers Respond;” a 4-minute special feature
- Facilitation Guide
- Film’s trailer (2 minutes)
- Closed captioning
- Spanish subtitles